Monday, July 23, 2007

Weekend Trip - Inner Space Caverns

Mr M and I took a day trip to Georgetown, TX on Saturday. The main goal of the trip was to tour the Inner Space Caverns. It's a little over 3 hours from Dallas and the weather was great.

I've been before but Mr. M has never been to any type of caverns before. I figured I would start him with these and work our way up. I'd like to eventually take him to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. I've been there several times and I love it.

Our trip started a little later than what we really wanted, but there was really no big rush. We got there and did the tour, which lasts about an hour. We were told that we were lucky because they are expecting to be closed for the next 6-8 weeks. They're expecting to be flooded out. Our tour guide showed us where there was water that day but the day before there had been none. Then we went to another section that they usually give you a flashlight and you can explore a little on your own, but it was roped off because the water was way too deep already. She flashed her flashlight in the water and you could see the reflection of the path and things wwwwaaaayyyy down below. It was amazing how deep it already was. She pointed above us to a line that was left from the last flood in 1997 and she said that's probably where it would be this time too. The water in the caves are 98% pure and even the flooded water that will soon be there will also be 98% pure. Can you imagine?

After the caverns we "looped back" to the Candle Factory. Queen P and I visited there several years ago. I wasn't as impressed with it this go round though. Then we headed down the street to grab a bite to eat at this little diner built to resemble a diner from the 50's. It was okay food. Afterwards we went to the little Georgetown square and looked in some of the antique shops. We also visited their little book shop in the square and of course all the buzz was how many people were lined up down the street the night before to get their Harry Potter book (2,000).

We decided to drive on back home. When we got back in to town we decided to stop by On the Border to grab a small bite to eat. That turned out to be a horrible experience. The waitress spilt our water (a little on Mr. M), she never replaced it. The Sprite I ordered tasted like it was missing its carbonation or something so I asked for another. Many, many minutes later she came back with one and it tasted worse. We finally got our tortilla soups and I was finally able to order a Coke, which I don't normally drink. She kept checking on all the tables around us but us. Then she came and told us that she forgot to put in our order for our quesadillas. Truthfully we were kind of full by then because we'd been eating chips while we were waiting. Our check was half off but we were kind and left a small tip.

But I was glad that Mr. M finally got to see the caverns. :-)

~ Wolf Lover Girl

2 comments:

Jess said...

I wish we'd been able to go! I'm glad you had a good time at the caverns and that Mr. M got to see them!

Wolf Lover Girl said...

I knew that your hubby had mentioned ya'll going with us, but then I read your post about how your ankle was still hurting and I told Mr. M I didn't know how you'd be able to do it. Glad you chose not to, I think you would have ended up being miserable.

~ Wolf Lover Girl