Saturday, December 1, 2007

Finally! I'm finished

For the last several months I've been reading the Little House on the Prairie series of books. I have to tell you I thought they were outstanding! I really enjoyed reading how things were done back then. And well it made me realize just how "lazy" we are and how we have it made.

To see what their work ethics were from morning to night is just incredible. I would often think as I read them that I wished I grew up in those times. How dedicated they were. And for the most part, what a great community and hospitality they offer their neighbors and town folk.

Now I'm sure most of you have watched the Little House tv show and I was so expecting to see some of those stories in there. Well of course it's tv so most of that was made up. However several things were true. Mary was blind, Nellie did exist and she was a b*tch as portrayed in the show. It's amazing that she was a schoolteacher at the same time she was still in school. However she only taught like 6 months total and then when she got married she was a house wife.

My favorite book of the series was, "The Long Winter". The Ingalls family had moved to a new town that was being built, De Smet, South Dakota; and the longest winter storm had hit and not only was the Ingalls family not really ready, neither was the rest of the town. But they got through it, obviously, but wow!

My second favorite was, "These Golden Years". These are the years when Laura was teaching and Almanzo Wilder was courting her. And of course Nellie tried to get in on that.

My least favorite two, "The First Four Years" - these are the first four years after Laura and Almanzo got married. I was excited to read this but evidently when the information was found for this book it was still as a draft that Laura had hand written. It hadn't gone through all the stages that I'm sure a written book goes through. The second least favorite was "On the Way Home", here Laura writes her daily log of their wagon covered trip with Almanzo and their daughter, Rose, from DeSmet to Mansfield, Missouri. It wasn't really a story, but more of a diary so not that interesting to me as the others.

I know there are others out there and I'll eventually read them. I'm starting to research on the website that is dedicated to Laura and Rose because I'm now all interested. It didn't really say when she wrote the books so I'd like to get an idea of when they were actually done.

But now that I'm done with these I had nothing else to read. Mr. M had finally purchased a book and now he was sitting up in bed reading and I had nothing! He had bought the "I am Legend" book, you know the one starring Will Smith (yum)? He says it's been very good. Now the funny thing is it was written many, many years ago... so of course he wasn't driving around in a nice Mustang Cobra as depicted in the commercials ;-). But I understand they wanted to make it more this century. Well I thought I would also like to read this before I watched it on the big screen, and well I didn't want to wait till Mr. M was done with his because I didn't know if I would have time. So I bought my own book... and it is good so far.

~ Wolf Lover Girl

No comments: