Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Sun Dog

So last week as I was driving home from work I saw the most interesting thing in the sky. I kept looking at it wondering what it was (which is kind of bad since I was in rush hour traffic). I was rushing home as fast as I could so I could get my camera and take a few snaps. Unfortunately by the time I got home it was gone (and no, I'm not talking about UFO's, but I do believe in them - different story)

So I get to work the next day and I'm telling my friend, Texas Grind, about it and she knew exactly what I was talking about. She too had seen it! And she said they talked about it on the news - it's called a Sun Dog. She being the photographer was able to catch a few snaps before it went away so I'm waiting to see her shots on her blog sometime soon. ;-)

Until then, I did go online and looked it up. So here are some pictures I "borrowed" from Wikipedia.



This is a picture of what I saw on my drive home. I thought at first that the sun looked really interesting, then I noticed that the sun was to the left of this "thing". Then I thought wow, a small part of a rainbow. And it's like there is an open "box" in the clouds that this shows in. It was just really cool.



Texas Grind told me that this is what it's supposed to look like. That would have been really cool to see.
Here's complete details from Wikipedia as to what a Sun Dog is, but the short and sweet: A sun dog or sundog (scientific name parhelion, plural parhelia, e.g. "with the sun") is a relatively common halo, an atmospheric optical phenomenon mostly associated with the refraction of sunlight by small ice crystals making up cirrus or cirrostratus clouds. (also "borrowed" from Wikipedia)
~ Wolf Lover Girl

2 comments:

"Z" said...

Too bad I missed it. Sounds like it was pretty cool to see. I look forward to seeing the other pictures.

Wolf Lover Girl said...

Yeah, too bad you did miss it, it was really interesting and who knows how often that occurs.

~ Wolf Lover Girl