Saturday, August 9, 2008

Smokin' Baby

I posted last month about the lady behind us and was hoping beyond hope that she was just a big girl... she's not.


Granted I've never been addicted to anything before - smoking, alcohol, drugs (okay maybe candy and sodas) - so I don't know what it would be like to try and stop this addiction for 9 months. However if I was lucky enough to bring a child into this world I think I would do whatever I would have to do to let it have a fighting chance.


How did I finally determine she was pregnant and not just big? She was out with her girlfriend having a smoke. Her friend, who also smokes, was bending down and talking to her belly and rubbing her belly like one does when a friend is pregnant.


And her husband, who also smokes, at another time was out with his lovely bride carrying his child and he was rubbing her belly as he blew out smoke. Here's a pic I took - I blocked out their faces so you can't recognize them - and circled one of the daily drags they've had today.

I guess her friends and family have NO issues with her being pregnant and smoking. I guess a family who smokes together... raises a child who will have health issues!


Poor child!


~ Wolf Lover Girl

1 comment:

Knatolee said...

My next-door neighbour in BC smoked the whole time she was pregnant and it drove me nuts. My mother smoked while pregnant with me, and should have known better, but it was the 60s, which gave her a slight excuse in terms of lack of knowledge.

And yes, I have had health issues all my life, and it was hell dealing with second-hand smoke when I was a kid. Fortunately my mother quit when I was 10; my Dad continued to smoke but my parents had separated so I wasn't exposed to the smoke constantly. I have never smoked because after all that, I just found cigarettes totally disgusting.

Provinces in Canada are starting to make it illegal for people to smoke in a car when a child is present. I am all for it! God knows how many years I have had shaved off my life after being closed up in a car full of toxins...

Poor little baby, it's so unfair.