Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lunar Eclipse!

Well tonight was another lunar eclipse and the first one that the States could see in I don't know how long (granted I'm sure I could look it up online, but I choose not too!)

When I heard that it was scheduled tonight I thought, "crap, it's supposed to be cloudy and we won't see a thing". When I got home from work I checked out the sky and sure enough cloudy.

And truthfully I kind of forgot all about it until about 8:15pm CT. I was looking online to see what time it was supposed to start and evidently it started around 7:45 CT so I jumped up and ran outside to see if I could see anything.

The sky was soooo clear!!! The moon was already about three quarters covered so I pretty much watched it until it went into a full eclipse just about 9pm. And that was pretty cool it had a orangish-reddish hue to it. Mr. M said that it reminded him of a pumpkin with a candle in it. I did try to take pictures of it in the beginning but I just don't have the right camera. I'll have to wait till Roz posts hers (cause I know she'll get some good ones!). Then about 5 after 9 the clouds started rolling in. I was still able to catch glimpses but now its so thick you can't see anything so I finally gave up and came back in the house.

So tonight turned out to be really cool! I even called mom to make sure she saw it. :-)

~ Wolf Lover Girl

2 comments:

"Z" said...

I should have gotten off my ass and checked it out too. I remembered about it too late too, or so I thought. So I missed it. Glad you got to see it though.

Knatolee said...

Hey, great you got to see it! We dragged ourselves and our telescope out into the subzero temps. It was beautiful! Glad your Mom saw it too. :)