Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Jury Duty!

Yesterday was my first ever time to be summoned for Jury Duty!

And it was a little interesting. I knew to take a book to read 'cause I knew that I'd be sitting in a big room with all sorts of other people there and it would be forever before anything happened.

In my summons it did mention to dress appropriately for court - no shorts! And to be there by 8:20am. So since I am in a place where I can people watch I made a few observations...

1. There were no shorts - yeah, they can read!
2. There were several people who wore pants - mostly men (go figure). And most of the ladies who wore jeans looked like they were just out of High School or in College.
3. People were still arriving around 8:30 and 8:45 ect - I guess they can't read!

We got to watch a little video on "how great it is to serve on a jury". The facts and fictions of serving on a jury. Got sworn in by the judge. Then the judge listed all these items that could potentially give you a way out of serving, and if you feel that you fall under one of these then line up and I'll review it with you. I didn't see many people get a pass.

Then another court lady began to read off names and tell you where and when you would be serving. There were several for yesterday afternoon. Then she began reading off names to come back on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. The more and more I sat there I could just feel the tension in my kneck. I just can't serve on those days, sis and I are planning on cleaning out mom's old place on Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun (or however long it takes). Luckily I was not in those lists. Then she started calling out 50 million names (okay it was more like 30) and they had to come back on Monday.

After they all left with their directions and such she looked at the rest of us and told us we were not needed - THANK GOD!!! They also gave us the opportunity to donate our lovely $6 we made for the day to one of the charitable type things in my area. I really didn't recognize most of them on the list so I donated mine to the Habitat for Humanity.

BTW it was only 10:30am!!! Woo Hoo!!! I get paid a full day by my job so I sure as heck wasn't going in. I grabbed something to eat for lunch, changed into comfortable clothes (which included jeans because I didn't wear them to court!) and then went and spent the afternoon with mom.

We had a really good time. They were making Mardi Gras masks (even though it really happened about 2 weeks ago) and I helped her with that (I have a picture I'll have to post later). So my day ended up being very nice!

~ Wolf Lover Girl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had been that lucky! I was in there for 5 days when I got called.

But it was an interesting place and experience.