Monday, October 22, 2007

Dallas Race for the Cure

This past Saturday was the Dallas Race for the Cure by the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. A small group from my job met up in the early morning to walk together. It was a little windy but luckily not really cold. One of the girls in my department has recently had a minor surgery so she wasn't completley up to par to walk the 5K so I and another lady walked the 1 mile with her. When we were finished we walked around to all the booths for all the wonderful free goodies.



I usually walk with my sister and my mom, but sis had other plans not realizing the walk was this weekend. And well mom hasn't really been doing too well. She's been having some health issues and the Dr. has been kind of looking at her past cancer history. It might have something to do with the medicines she took way back then. I just know that it's been a real struggle because of her pain she has not been able to work. And she's been waiting well over a month to even see a Dr. and trying to apply for disability to help with expenses. Until then she's been going to local churches and charities to get some assistance and what they can't provide she's been coming to her children. None of us are rich and it's putting a strain on us as well.


Anywho, if you've never been to one of these they have all the survivors wear a pink shirt and pink hat to help set them apart. I really liked the saying they had on their shirts this year so I had to get a picture of it (above). There is a Survivor tent available just for survivors and their immediate family. They have breakfast available to them. Of course you can't get in unless the survivor is there with you.
Those that I rode to the Race with had other things to do that morning so we left before everything was really done. I know they always have a gathering with all the survivors coming up to the stage... it's really an awesome site to see all those women and men up there. It makes me cry every time. In the past the Race for the Cure didn't really allow men to participate but they since have opened it up and I've seen more and more men there.



Mr. M and I went to On the Border last night for some munchies and they are helping as well. You can sign a pink coaster to put up in their window for $1. They also have t-shirts to buy where some of the proceeds go to the Komen Foundation.






~ Wolf Lover Girl

4 comments:

Jess said...

I'm glad that men are becoming more visible in this crusade. My father, who never wore pink in his life, now trots out yearly in his pink shirt and hat for his local Race. Even though a smaller percentage of men get breast cancer, their percentage of death is higher....because who'd think about a man getting breast cancer?

Best wishes to your mom. She's a fighter, and will come through fine. My mom just went through the whole ordeal to get disability and it is a royal pain. Let me know if there's anything we can do.

Wolf Lover Girl said...

Thanks! How long did it take for your mom to get approved?

~ Wolf Lover Girl

Jess said...

I'm not sure, but I can ask her. I know she was denied the first time (it's like an automatic thing; they wanted her to go out and sell real estate despite the fact that her eyesight is so bad she's *not allowed to drive*). She had to get a lawyer. I'll find out.

Jess said...

Update: It will take at least a year for the disability to come through. Once you apply, you need to not work for five months before they even start processing the application. And the first denial is pretty much automatic. My mom's advice: get a lawyer. The good ones have a fee structure that typically doesn't require anything up-front. We can talk about details if you like.