Monday, October 1, 2007

Breast Cancer Awareness Month


Most people who know me know that I support Breast Cancer Awareness. For those of you who do not... now you do! :-) And in place of my normal wolf picture I will keep the pink ribbon in its place to mark Breast Cancer Awarness month.
Although I support the fight to find a cure I'm not sure if many know why I'm such a strong supporter. My mom is a breast cancer survivor. She is a 15+ year survivor!!!!
I'm very lucky that she survived and try and catch the Susan G. Komen Dallas Race for the Cure every October. Sometimes I'm able to donate but not make it to the walk but at least they got their money. I've yet to sign up this year and I know that it's quickly coming so need to stop procrastinating.
I have to tell ya though, when my mom found out she had it I was in High School around my Sophomore/Junior year. And you know how you are back in that time of your life. I was so mean and pissed. I was mad because it was "my time"... I should be enjoying these days but instead everytime I was around anyone all I ever heard was, "how's your mom doing?" I would silently yell to myself, "why don't you ever ask about me? I'm going through this too!"
I had to take her to get those horrible Chemo therapy and radiation treatments and hated that as well. I remember by the time it was my graduation she had pretty much lost her hair so she was wearing a wrap and had a neck brace on and I was just embarrased to be seen with her.
This was also the time period when you learn to cook from your mom and of course she was way too sick to cook for us. We got most of our meals from church members bringing something by, or of course fast food. This is one of the reasons why I'm so self concious about what I can / can't cook. If I do try to cook I would have someone (a few years back) make snide comments about "oh! you cooked?"
Granted I've grown up a lot since those High School years and realized what an ass I was. I've sat with my mom and told her sorry for the way I treated her. Of course she's mom so she forgave me... but I still remember how badly I treated her!
So to all of you who have survived - Congratulations and stay strong!!
To those of you who have lost someone to this horrible disease... my deepest sympathy.
~ Wolf Lover Girl

2 comments:

Jess said...

Congratulations to your Mom and my Dad and all of the other survivors. Someday we will find a cure.

(And don't worry about the cooking thing. Five words: Rachael Ray on Food Network. She rocks.)

Wolf Lover Girl said...

Yes, Congrats to your dad as well! :-)

I'll have to check her out...

~ Wolf Lover Girl