Friday, August 31, 2007

Con or No Con?

So Mr. M and I were sitting at Fuddruckers today having lunch and as we're sitting there enjoying our burgers this "pregnant" lady stops by our table and hands Mr. M a piece of paper. He reads the paper and says, "sorry, no" and hands it back to her. She turns to me and starts to hand it to me. I just tell her no.

As she's walking away I asked Mr. M what it said, I didn't even read it when I said no but I figured if he didn't want anything to do with it neither did I. So he tells me it says something to the effect of "please help, I have 2 kids and need help to get them diapers and things. Can you help?"

I'm like what? This is a restaurant you can't come in here and solicit like that. Now I don't know if she really has 2 kids or if she really needs help, and if she does I feel bad but you never know.

THEN we see another lady in there at the same time doing the same thing!!! And wouldn't you know it she too was pregnant! And by the looks of their "bumps" they looked like they got pregnant at the same time.

So Mr. M gets up and goes to the counter to find an employee and tell them about the ladies out there soliciting for money. Mr. M wasn't the only one I noticed someone else bringing out an employee as well. These two ladies did get some money from about 2-3 people before they left though.

We saw them walking down the street as we left. We looked to make sure they were still "pregnant" and they were.

~ Wolf Lover Girl

3 comments:

Lara said...

i hate those sorts of things, because you're like, well, if it's true, i feel bad, but how do i know, and what should i really do, and how do i walk this fine line?

blah, the whole idea makes me uncomfortable.

Jess said...

Same here, Lara. On the one hand, of course I want to help if someone really needs it, but on the other hand, you just never know and is this really the best way of helping?

The people on the side of the road with "will work for food" signs do that to me too. I always feel like kind of a schmuck when I see them.

Knatolee said...

I'm always conflicted about giving money to people like this, but nowadays I just don't, because I figure they are most likely going to spend it on drugs, booze or cigs. Better to give to an organized charity that supports the homeless.

And it's tacky coming into a restaurant and trying to guilt people who are enjoying a meal. That's my opinion anyway.

So I agree with Jess that handing over money probably isn't the best way to help.

And I would suggest that if you did give them anything, perhaps some BIRTH CONTROL PILLS might be a thought!!!