Sunday, December 24, 2006

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

So when you're out and about this time of the year do you wish people Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas? This seems to be such a debate now a days. Here's an interesting story that I witnessed first hand and then I'll tell you what I think...

A few weeks ago my department at work and one of our Admin Assistants went to a local restaraunt for a holiday lunch. Seems every other company was doing the same thing, it was very busy. We had a wonderful lunch and received a small little gift in the end. As our waiter was saying his farewell and thanks for the business he wished everyone a Happy Holiday. Then someone in our group made a snide remark saying "it's Merry Christmas!" She goes on to say something to the effect that it's Christ's birth that we're all celebrating this time of the year... yadda, yadda, yadda...

Okay, this is what I think. Now I am a Southern Baptist so of course I believe in the whole birth of Jesus and everything so what she says is true. However I also understand that not everyone celebrates Christmas. Of course the other big celebration that most people make note of is Hanukkah. I believe that you can say whatever you feel that you would like to say. I might choose to say either, depending on my mood and possibly where I am.

Now someone else in our group made a comment to the lady who was kind of making a big deal about this "he looks like he's muslim so he probably doesn't celebrate Christmas". You know I guess I didn't notice. All I noticed was that he was a great waiter that did a wonderful job getting all of our food to us at the same time as we were kind of a big group. Everything was correct and the food was good. And yes, sometimes you have to be so PC in this day and age.

Well it is Christmas Eve... and I hope that everyone has a great and wonderful Christmas!!! And for everyone else who celebrates what ever you celebrate... I hope it's a good and safe one! :-)

~ Wolf Lover Girl.

2 comments:

Art Performance Picks said...

Wolfie! Workin' retail hell this Christmas, I got everything from "Merry Christmas", "Happy Holidays", "Happy Hanukah" (sp) even "Happy Kwanzaa" (I guess because I am a nappy headed sustah)! I accepted them all gratefully. 'Tis the season to be jolly NOT PC!

Anonymous said...

Oy. I am so not even going to speculate on who said what during this outing because it's disapppointing all around. The way I see it? Say whatever is in your heart, whether it be "Merry Christmas," "Happy Chrismahanukwanzakah," "Merry Solstice" or whatever. People with manners will accept it in the spirit in which it's intended--a blessing of peace and joy for the season.

And the people without manners can go take a flying leap. Just sayin'.