Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Always Remember...

NEVER FORGET!

It's really a good thing for me that this day falls in the middle of the week, kind of, otherwise I would take the day off and watch anything and everything that has to do with tributes and re-showing of that horrible day 6 years ago. It wouldn't be pretty and I know it's just unhealthy.

It really does seem like it was just last year that it all happened, I can't believe 6 years has gone by already. Everyone, of course, asks do you remember where you were etc? And like I'm sure many do - I do! I'm sure I posted this already... but here it goes again.

I remember what I was wearing - I was looking really cute! Long black skirt with a grayish-silver top and black boots. I thought I was cute anyway! ;-) I remember someone making a comment to me "are you going to a funeral are something?" I wonder if she remembers saying that? How unfortunate those words were said on that particular day.

I've assisted in many training classes but this was the first one that I was actually teaching. My class was out stuffing envelopes and some of them were finishing up thier final test. The training room is right next to the break room and all of a sudden the tv was soooo loud outside our door. I go out there to tell them to turn it down and there was this big crowd of people out there. And they'd brought in another tv than what was normally in there. I asked someone what was going on and they tell me a plane hit the WTC and I was thinking a prop plane, I didn't realize till much later that it was a passenger plane. The day unfolded in a haze, I still remember it mostly though. I did have one lady in the class who had a family member living in New York who worked for the fire department. I told her she could go home if she wanted, I really understood. But she stayed cause truthfully, what could she do?

When I went home I got out my flag and put it up on my back porch, I still lived in an apartment. I sat out on the hill looking up in the sky in amazement at how clear it was with not a plane up there, I mean I live in DFW with one of the busiest airports. And of course just cried. I was glued to the tv for days watching all the footage. I remember a few days later watching the news and they mentioned they had evacuated the Empire State Building cause they thought there was a bomb in it and I just started crying again.

I read today somewhere and they were asking if there should be a memorial every year or how long should we do this? Really? I don't have anyone I know that was lost that day but I imagine everyone who did would like to do something to mark this day for as long as they can. Let them have their one day.

I did get to visit NYC last year in October on a quick day trip. Of course the first thing I did was visit Ground Zero. They've started building so I didn't really get to see the "footprints" of the buildings. They have pictures of wreckage and things. There are a few people there talking about all their conspiracy theories about what really happened that day. I've actaully watched one video and some things do make you say hmmm... The one thing that really pissed me off was the people out there selling their knock off shit. Purses and junk. And right in front of signs that tell you not to buy things from people out there. Hello! This is a sacred place, do you really have to set up shop there?

Anyway... that flag is now in a flag case on my fireplace mantel, unfortunately it tore. I know you're supposed to burn it but it means a bit too much to me. I really do think of that day at least once a day. I try to quickly think of something else as it will immediately make me tear up and make me cry - kind of hard to explain when you're at work. :-)

So to all of those families and friends who lost someone - I'm sorry and I'll never forget.

~ Wolf Lover Girl

No comments: