Thursday, April 17, 2008

My dog - the Huntress

Well that's what Mr. M is calling her.

For a few days now little Ms. M&M has been pacing by our back fence like she sees something just under it. Every time I go back there I see nothing. I even had to bring her in one night because she just started barking at it and I didn't want her to bug the neighbors all night.

Then the day before yesterday she was in the yard aways and I could tell she had something. So I went out there to check it out and it was a frog. I think it's my little frog friend that kept visiting last year. Mr. M picked it up and threw it over the fence so it wouldn't be M&M's new toy.

So yesterday I let her out when I got home to do her business and run around. Now she's focused on our wheel barrow that is turned over and obviously there is something underneath it. I'm thinking maybe its my frog friend and go out there. Of course I look at M&M and tell her that if its a snake that I will be very upset (I really, really, really do not like snakes). I hesitantly raise the wheelbarrow and to my wonderful surprise is a small opossum! {and yes it's opossum - not possum} Of course it scared the sh*t out of me and I dropped the wheelbarrow. I grab M&M and take her in the house and get on the website to Google exactly how dangerous they are and how to get rid of them.

When Mr. M got home I told him of the latest find from our dog. As we left her in the house we went out to take a look. As he lifted the wheelbarrow the thing high tailed it under the fence to our neighbors yard. Mr. M peeked over the fence and all I heard him say was "uh oh". I'm like what? The poor thing escaped into the clutches of our neighbors dog!! :-( I'm so upset by this. Mr. M kept telling me, "I didn't do it on purpose" I know! I told him that maybe it was just "playing dead" - that's what they do anyway right? So I run over to our neighbors to let them know that their dog has an opossum, but they weren't home. I didn't go in there to handle because the dog is a rottweiler. He's a freindly dog but I'm not taking my chances.

Well I didn't look in on how the little fellow was doing because it would just upset me. M&M is now fine and no longer pacing by the fence - but I think an innocent little animal may have lost his little life. :-(

~ Wolf Lover Girl

2 comments:

Jess said...

Aw :( I know how you feel (ask Ernie about the time I accidentally ran over the frog...I was inconsolable). Sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

Knatolee said...

Ooooops. We had opossums in our garden in BC. They liked to sit and eat out of my platform birdfeeders! OUr English Setter at the time was no huntress, and the opossums would just freeze if she went out there.

Poor little opossum, I hope it was quick! These things happen, but I know it feels bad. :( Our two dogs our currently obsessed by a raccoon and her litter of babies in our barn... we're just keeping the dogs out of the barn until the babies are mobile and we can evict everybody in a safe and kind fashion!